Monday, March 3, 2008

Waiting on the Lord

Our home study is completed, so now all we have to do is wait. Waiting is something we have been learning a lot about lately. We waited for several months to see how and when God was going to lead us to adopt, and now we are waiting as we wade through the process of domestic adoption. Luke and I normally move fairly quickly when it comes to making decisions, so this has been a whole new experience for us. It has been good for us though in many ways.

I read something on a blog a few months ago that has completely changed my perspective on the purpose of waiting. I had always thought of waiting as a passive time, when our main goal is just to sit and wait patiently on God's timing for the end result that we are waiting for. This quote from Paul Tripp about Psalm 27 transformed my thinking:

"Waiting on God isn't about the suspension of meaning and purpose. It's part of the meaning and purpose that God has brought into my life. Waiting on God isn't to be viewed as an obstruction in the way of the plan. Waiting is an essential part of the plan. For the child of God, waiting isn't simply about what I'll receive at the end of my wait. No, waiting is much more purposeful, efficient, and practical than that. Waiting is fundamentally about what I'll become as I wait. God is using the wait to do in and through me exactly what He's promised. Through the wait He's changing me. By means of the wait He's altering the fabric of my thoughts and desires. Through the wait He's causing me to see and experience new things about Him and His kingdom. And all of this sharpens me, enabling me to be a more useful tool in His redemptive hands."

This was eye-opening for me. During times of waiting, we shouldn't be focusing primarily on simply the end that we are waiting for. We should realize that God is changing us as we wait, and getting us ready for what we're waiting for. It makes me sad when I think of all the times in my life I have been waiting for something (marriage, children, our house to sell, etc.) and all I could think about was the end result of getting what I wanted. I should have focused more on how God was getting me ready for what was going to happen, and what He was doing in me as I waited. Waiting shouldn't be wasted time, it should be time when we draw close to God as He prepares our hearts for what is to come.

I've thought about this a lot in regards to our adoption. We have no idea what God has planned with this adoption. We are applying to adopt a child of any race, which means it will most likely be a interracial adoption. Luke and I are very excited about this, but we realize there may be challenges ahead for us. We have no idea how smoothly the adoption process will go, or when we will get to bring our child home. There are so many questions we have as we wait, but we know God has it all in His control and He is using this time of waiting to prepare us for this amazing experience that lies ahead of us.
"Wait for the LORD;
Be strong and let your heart take courage;
Yes, wait for the LORD." Psalm 27:14

No comments: